Accidents are sometimes inevitable, and may come at a price! However, with local legislation in place which ensures that all cars on the road must be insured, most road users buy insurance just to fulfil all righteousness, but do not believe it works. But you can put your car insurance to work in the event of an accident by following these steps;
- Inform your insurance provider immediately the accident occurs, and ask for the necessary things to do.
- Take pictures of the accident and avoid altering the scene of the accident.
- File a claim and ensure you supply all the necessary information required to file your claim such as the model of the car and other particulars of the other party.
Most persons lose their claim against insurance providers due to the following reasons;
- Failure to inform the insurance provider as soon as the accident occurs
- Altering the scene of the accident before taking pictures/evidence.
- Exchanging unnecessary banter with the other party, which in most cases complicates the situation.
- Disclosing the value of your insurance to the other party.
- Accepting compensation for the accident, as the insurance provider would not reimburse you in the event that you file a claim.
- You decide not to file a claim, of which the other party may institute legal proceedings against you with greater demands.
However note that all the steps outlined above are still subject to the type of car insurance you buy for your car. Therefore it is always best to engage your insurance agent to clarify any issues and limitations on the insurance cover you buy.
LawStrive is an on-demand lawyer hiring platform that also provides opportunities for citizens to get free advice and education on legal related matters. Ask your questions from lawyers today, Register with us.